Carbon cemetary. The ghost town of Carbon, Wyoming is located 4 miles south of Wyoming Highway 30 between Hana and Medicine Bow on CCR 115...Carbon was founded in 1868. Residences and mercantiles were privately owned. Carbon was a separate venture until it was absorbed by the Union Pacific Railroad Coal Department. Seven mines were developed. These mines eventually produced 4.6 million tons of coal. At its peak in 1880 Carbon had a motel, five general stores, a livery stable, several saloons, a bank and a church. Much of the town was destroyed in a fire on June 17, 1890. Soon after in 1899 the railroad altered its main tracks to Hanna leaving Carbon on a spur track. A year later the mines closed..